Cornerstones of the Kinesio® Taping Method:
• Taping over and around muscles in order to assist and give support or to prevent over-contraction.
• Applying stretch to the tape or to the target area in order to create space under the skin and create the desired effect on the musculature.
• Affecting change in deeper layers of fascia by manipulating the skin and muscle.
• Creating space underneath the skin to improve circulation and lymphatic drainage.
• Utilizing a number of corrective techniques to promote correct muscle and joint function
• Pain relief by targeting the pain and the source of the pain
• Utilizing single “I” strips or modifications in the shape of an “X,” “Y” or other specialized shapes
• Applying base of tape with no tension to create pull towards the base
|Muscle Relaxtion||Vs||Muscle Facilitation|
|Apply tape from the end of the muscle to the beginning (Insertion to Origin)||Apply tape from the beginning of the muscle to the end (Origin to Insertion)|
|Used to relax tired or overused muscles (therapy)||Used to stimulate weak or underused muscles (rehabilitation)